The owner of an SME tries, as an expert tightrope walker, to reach the other side without staggering. In their daily activity, in which there is much to do and few resources, everyone does a little of everything, but the responsibility does not fall on anyone in particular.
We are in a market where there are no clear rules, added to the fiscal pressure and labor costs, which generate imbalances of various kinds, which can cause the business to stop being profitable.
Today strategic and timely information is essential to make sound decisions, but how to do it? Here are some interesting tips to apply to your company.
- Define mission, vision, and values – What for
- Define short, medium and long-term objectives – What?
- Organizational chart with functions, responsibilities, and lines of command – Who?
- Processes in procedure manuals – How and when?
- Mission. What is it for? It is the purpose of your company, the ultimate motivation that gives meaning to the rest of the questions. It is located in the present, the activity it performs, the environment in which it is located, the resources available, the competitive advantage and to whom that benefit is directed. View. What the organization aspires to be in the future. Values. Ethical principles and behavior guidelines, which act as a compass that guides our actions. The definition of these three concepts (which must be coherent with each other) is the beginning of a strategic plan. It is important that they are known by all the members of the entire company to help them know who they are, who they want to be in the future and the values on which they rely to achieve it.
- What? Have ambitious, measurable and quantifiable objectives, established jointly with the members, that are simple and allow to measure the growth and have a better analysis of what is being done, and be constantly updated to keep a strict follow-up.
- Who? It allows to know the functions and identify when the responsibility of each member begins and culminates.
- How and when? It allows transparency in the actions of the members because they can know the complete map of a process and its impact on the final result. This generates greater collaboration and teamwork, as well as a greater discernment regarding the priorities.
Face item and activity have its particularities and the important thing is that you can achieve the optimal result based on the structure you have armed. Then, according to the proposed objectives, gradually make changes to continue growing on a firm basis.
And surely he will be thinking, “is that we are few and we all do a little of everything, we need more people, but the labor costs are high and I do not close the numbers, this context is to stay still” and so on. These are the usual answers when I speak with clients, whether they are small, medium or large, and I reply that these tools can be adapted to any structure and if they need personnel, but it gives them uncertainty, there are temporary personnel who work for projects and invoice for work. accomplished.
When the SME grows and does not know where it is standing, it feels disoriented. There comes a moment that if you want to continue your journey it is essential to pause, order and move forward in a more professional way.
The idea is to make agile and dynamic processes tailored, where information flows and sectors can communicate in an entertaining way, and leaving behind the individualistic short circuits that affect the profitability of the company.
And how does one go through this process, while continuing with their daily activity? With a lot of communication, continuously feeding the circuit in order to measure results and detect deviations. Because all the members know with clarity what is the objective that the team has to reach, and all will focus on following the same path to achieve it. Because a well coordinated and motivated team can achieve any goal that is proposed.